Saturday, September 29, 2012

My Experience at The Metropolitan Museum of Art


Visiting The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City last Thursday was a blast.  I really enjoyed the experience and am so thankful for the opportunity!  I definitely hope to return again some day soon.

The sections of the museum that I most enjoyed were those that showcased European paintings (especially the Impressionist and Post-Impressionist works).  I both literally and figuratively found myself lost in those particular galleries.  I felt so privileged to have to chance to view works by artists such as Van Gogh, Degas, Monet, Seurat, and Toulouse-Lautrec.  These are artists that I admire greatly and I loved being able to view all of the details and brushstrokes up close, and in person.  Although I have viewed many photographs of work by the above-mentioned artists, when in person, I felt as though I was seeing them with new eyes.  It was as if I were finally seeing them as they were meant to be seen.

Also, I was so excited to have to chance to travel through the “Regarding Warhol” exhibition! It is best described on The Met’s website: “Through approximately forty-five works by Warhol alongside one hundred works by some sixty other artists, Regarding Warhol: Sixty Artists, Fifty Years juxtaposes prime examples of Warhol's paintings, sculpture, and films with those by other artists who in key ways reinterpret, respond, or react to his groundbreaking work.”

*******************

Below are some of the photographs that I took with my iPad that day J

Terracotta amphoriskos (flask) in the form of a bird-man
Greek, late 5th century B.C.

Gold jewelry
Greek, 6th-5th century B.C.
Portrait of a Young Woman as a Vestal Virgin1767
Francois Hubert Drouais
Oil on canvas

Madame Grand (Noel Catherine Verlee, 1761-1835), Later Madame de Talleyrand Perigor, Princesse de Benevent
1783
Elisabeth Louise Vigee Le Brun
Oil on canvas

Madonna and Child
Berlinghiero
Tempera on wood, gold ground

Still Life with Flowers and Fruit1629
Juan van der Hamen y Leon
Oil on canvas
 
St. Ives Bridge, St. Ives, Huntingdonshire
1895
William Fraser Garden
Watercolor, pen and gray ink, touches of gouache, over graphite

Works by Paul Siganc

The Little Fourteen-Year-Old Dancer
1922
Edgar Degas
Bronze, partially tinted, with cotton skirt and satin hair ribbon


Works by Edouard Manet
Pastel on canvas

Jockey
Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
Pastel and gouache on paper

House on Fire
1981
James Rosenquist
Oil on canvas


No comments:

Post a Comment